EXTRA!!! EXTRA!!! READ ALL ABOUT IT

S A D D I

In 2005, i was working HIV outreach at a nude beach.   It was such a hot day and no one was interested in free information or condoms.  So, the guy i was working with, and i decided to take a dip in the river to cool off.   The water felt amazing.  We were out pretty far and still able to stand up.  We decided to have a swimming contest, just out another 10 feet or so.   When we both reached the location at the same time, but our feet no longer touched the sandy bottom.   This dark skinned young man from Peru, turned white and freaked out.  He reached out to me, pulling me under the water.  Not one, but three times.  The third time i was under water i knew that unless i did something i was going to drown.   But before i raised myself out from under his grip, holing me under water, i saw SADDI's face, i knew i had to live to see her again.   When i reached above water, i swam anyway slightly from my co-worker, but held my arm out to him and together we swam towards the shore.   He didn't stop slashing around until his feet once again touched the sand.  He never did thank me, but i thanked SADDI as soon as i returned home.   If i hadn't seen her face while i was under water, i likely wouldn't have fought to stay alive.

No comments: