EXTRA!!! EXTRA!!! READ ALL ABOUT IT

Casting Off

i had my cast changed today, first time since the amputation.  Admittedly i was nervous about how my leg is healing.   The tech was impressed by how i was getting around.


We went out on the front porch so as not to make a mess in the house.  It felt weird to be able to bend my knee after being casted for a week.   In bending it, my knee jerked trying to bend.  i had a feeling of wanting to rest my foot on ground, a foot that is no longer there.



The tech said "oh wow" as the cast came off, i didn't know what he meant until he finally said how good it looked.  Relief.  Everything is healing nicely, with just a small section still needing to fully come together.  Next week i should be able to get the staples out and get a new cast that doesn't cover my knee ... if the healing continues in the positive direction it is going now.



The other thing the tech told me, that i also had him repeat to Devon, is by the of August i'll be walking without the aide of my walker or cane.   i don't really remember the tech coming to my hospital room as i was still kinda out of from surgery and lack of sleep.  So what he told me i was a little fuzzy about.  i saw recovery taking about a year, but the reality is it will take less time.  Quite a bit less.  i just look forward to walking again and i am assured that will happen.  It gave me a lot of confidence for the future.

No comments: