EXTRA!!! EXTRA!!! READ ALL ABOUT IT

S A D D I

There are too many and yet there are not enough words to express my love for SADDI.  My duty in life is to share the very special bond between SADDI and i.  How she became the love of my life.  My soul mate.
 
 
 
The most hurtful thing anyone can say to me is not about my weight or anything about me personally, but i am devastated when people tell me to just get another 'dog'.   Sure SADDI was a dog, but she was so much more.  Unless you were with SADDI and i, which so few people were, you cannot know the love between us.  The bond we share.
 
May 10, 1996.  i could not tell you what time i woke up or had for breakfast, but this is one of the most meaningful days of my entire life.  On this day, SADDI picked me.
 
i do recall it was another warm day in a fairly day spring.  My mom, family friend Shirley and i drove to outer NE Portland where they were giving away chow/lab puppies.
 
We pulled up to the house and the mommy doggie (chow), with two adorable puppies, already claimed sitting next to her, barking at us.
 
The humans giving away the puppies sais there were only 3 remaining.  They seemed to be completely ignoring us as they played.  The yard was so dry, from the two puppies wildly playing there was a low cloud of dust hovering.   Shirley kept attempting to catch one of the puppies, but it was impossible.
 
Just as the screen door to the house was about to close, a black ball of fur walked out.   Making it's way off the porch, through the yard, dodging the other two puppies still chasing each other.  And then it happen.  This tiny black ball of fur sat on my foot, placing her head on my leg looking up at me.
 
Shirley suggested that i pick up the puppy, but i insisted that i wasn't ready.  i was just looking.   But Shirley said i should just try it.  See how it feels.
 
i bent down and lifted her up, maybe all of 5 pounds of her.   She nuzzled her head against my neck and at that moment our 13.5 year love story began.
 
i miss you SADDI.

No comments: