EXTRA!!! EXTRA!!! READ ALL ABOUT IT

Saisar SADDI Berrong

 
May 10, 1996, a warm day, we went to a house in outer northeast Portland, where they were giving away chow/lab puppies.  i had been only thinking about welcoming another dog into my life.  When we arrived, two 10 week old puppies came running out of the house, rolling around in the dry dirt, crashing into tree's and chasing one another.  Just as the screen door to the house was about to close, a small black ball of fur, looking like a tiny bear cub, came out, slowly making it down the steps and crossing the yard.  The other puppies still running around, but this one puppy came over and sat on my foot.  Putting her head on my leg, looking up at me.  They said "pick her up", but i really didn't know if i was ready.  But i picked her up, and she rested her head against my neck. At that moment i realize, i had been picked and i could not say no.
In our last months together, i had to spend a week away in the hospital.  At that time, we lived across the street from the hospital.  So when i was released, the volunteer took me to the exit, where i said i was waiting for a ride.  i lied so he would leave and i just walked the couple of blocks home.  i was really weak, but i needed to see my SADDI and i knew she needed to see me.  When i got to the house, she was sitting by the glass door waiting for me.  Tail wagging wildly.  She began barking at me, as she always did whenever i came home.  Even if i just left to get the mail.  i got into the house, gave her a huge long hug, let her go outside and then i needed to lay down before i passed out.  As always, SADDI laid against me, so tightly i couldn't move.  Just feeling her next to me, i felt safe again. 
In the moment before SADDI died, she lifted her paw, she was so weak, and placed it on my hand.  As if to comfort me again.  i kissed her ear as i whispered how much i love her.  And then she was gone.

i don't know how much time i have on this earth, but i am devoted to honoring SADDI and ensuring that our love story is shared.  All the praise and acknowledgments need to be given to SADDI.  This little silly black bundle of fur taught me how to be a better human, showed me the meaning of love and devotion and inspires me to do for others.

No comments: